Analysis (Services and Self)

Koan Bremner's view on life as a database and data warehouse professional / addict and non-genetic woman

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

The nice thing about standards...

... is that you have so many to choose from.

The annoying thing about standards is when the one you would like to use is not supported when you would like it to be... blogger.com produces Atom news feeds, but not RSS; my reader (at least, the version of it I used when I originally wrote this post) doesn't support Atom. So, in order to check that this feed works in my own reader, I have to either a) change my reader; b) upgrade my current reader (a chargeable upgrade, and my budget is tight this month); c) use a different site; or d) use a service to translate the Atom feed into other formats (including RSS).

So, option d) it is. A multi-format feed (courtesy of FeedBurner) is here. I've put a link to it in the sidebar. Even if you're familiar with blogger.com (and can guess what the Atom feed is called) if you want to link to a feed for this blog, I recommend you use the FeedBurner feed, because if or when I move this blog, that feed will remain valid.

(For those of my potential audience for whom this post is so much gibberish, a feed reader allows you to be notified when new posts have been made to blogs such as this, without having to manually check the web page. For a selection of readers, take your pick from any of these. Personally, I'm now using RSS Bandit.)

This blog has been migrated to new software on a different server (http://www.multidimensional.me.uk) and comments on this post on *this* blog are now closed. All existing comments have been copied to the equivalent post on the new blog. If you still wish to comment on this post, please use the equivalent post.

0 Comments:

<< Home