Analysis (Services and Self)

Koan Bremner's view on life as a database and data warehouse professional / addict and non-genetic woman

Monday, April 04, 2005

I apologise for being stupid

Stupid, stupid, stupid... I *must* be losing my grip. Cart me off to the farm right now.

In this post, I expressed this view:

...I've just read two posts that appeared in quick succession on Dave Winer's "Scripting News" blog that confirm why I read his writing; which is that here is a guy who tells it from the heart, as he sees it, and truly doesn't give a f*** if others have a hard time with that aspect of himself. Which is a trait I admire, and also try to live by.


[Via Analysis (Services and Self)]

And, then, I allowed myself to get suckered into responding to a comment which picked me up for suggesting that someone believing what they write confers some special merit on their words, citing four specific, inflammatory examples (chosen, I suspect, precisely *because* they're inflammatory) to show I'm a klutz. The thing is, I didn't just say that someone had to believe what they write; what I *said* was that Dave Winer "tells it from the heart, as he sees it, **and truly doesn't give a f*** if others have a hard time with that aspect of himself**. " The double-stars surround the missing element; and, forgive me, but I don't think that could be said of any of the four personages cited in the comment. A conservative political commentator, a (I wouldn't know *how* to describe Ward Churchill), a "politician" (in the loosest possible sense) and a politician; but people, I suggest, who aren't adequately described by the part betweeen the double stars.

So, really, I *am* stupid; stupid for not realising that what I said was being taken out of context. I served my time debating in Usenet newsgroups; I used to be better at the game than this! ;-)

This blog has been migrated to new software on a different server (http://www.multidimensional.me.uk) and comments on this post on *this* blog are now closed. All existing comments have been copied to the equivalent post on the new blog. If you still wish to comment on this post, please use the equivalent post at: http://www.multidimensional.me.uk/

0 Comments:

<< Home