Analysis (Services and Self)

Koan Bremner's view on life as a database and data warehouse professional / addict and non-genetic woman

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

As succinctly as I can put it... in my opinion...

1) Discrimination sucks... period.

2) Anti-discrimination legislation will not stop discrimination... sadly.

3) Supporting anti-discrimination legislation about X does *not* mean that you actively support X; it means that you oppose discrimination... there *is* a difference.

4) Opposing anti-discrimination legislation is effectively the same as supporting discrimination... if you believe in discrimination, admit it.

5) Taking a neutral / non-committal stance on anti-discrimination legislation shows, at best, apathy; at worst, cowardice... which are you?

6) If you oppose X, then campaign against it based on reasoned judgment, rather than trying to legislate prejudice towards X; if you are so afraid of the seductive power of X, that the slightest exposure to X will convert people wholesale and permanently to the cause of X, then a) why is your alternative so relevant; b) assuming that you believe your alternative is better, come up with a better sales pitch... wage a positive campaign.

Bottom line: I can think of pros and cons for just about any issue; but I just cannot see any rational argument against anti-discrimination legislation. I would vote in favour of anti-discrimination legislation on *any* issue, regardless of whether I believe in the issue or not. Because that way, *every* cause, *every* viewpoint, *every* perspective has a chance to be heard, tested and decided on, equally and fairly, on its own merits. And this is an issue where, I believe, if you don't actually *support* anti-discrimination legislation, then you support discrimination; I'm sorry, but I don't think you can abstain on this issue. You are best disingenuous, at least a coward, and at worst a liar (and, arguably, all three) if you abstain.

But this point was made, much more eloquently than I'll ever be capable of, by a priest in the final days of World War Two.

First They Came For The Communists (1945)
by Martin Niemoller (1892 - 1984)

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up,
because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

This blog has been migrated to new software on a different server (http://www.multidimensional.me.uk) and comments on this post on *this* blog are now closed. All existing comments have been copied to the equivalent post on the new blog. If you still wish to comment on this post, please use the equivalent post at: http://www.multidimensional.me.uk/

1 Comments:

  • At 7:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love that poem. It's great. Very meaningful. And a great post as well!

     

<< Home