Analysis (Services and Self)

Koan Bremner's view on life as a database and data warehouse professional / addict and non-genetic woman

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

The joy of rebuilding...

... laptops, that is! ;-) I've spent the last couple of days moving my stuff from one laptop to another, something I seem to do quite regularly, and have got it down to a fine art now. Actually, the *transferring* is pretty straightforward; I backup the \Documents and Settings\username directory on the old laptop, add my domain account to the new laptop, restore the backup on top of it while logged on as a different local administrator on the new laptop, making sure to overwrite every file, and that's pretty much that. No, the time-consuming part is installing all of the applications (particularly Visual Studio .NET 2003 - scratch a couple of hours to install *that* puppy). Still, all done now.

One thing I really love about most well-behaved Windows applications (and which seems to characterises all those I use) is the way they store user-specific configuration in the XP user profile, so that I can restore that user profile on a new laptop (with settings related to apps that aren't installed on that laptop) and the new system doesn't crash (well, why should it?); yet as soon as I install the apps, they're immediately configured with my settings from the old laptop. That is just what I would want, and I'm sure it wasn't always as easy as that.

So, I have a nice and nippy new environment, in that virgin XP-starts-up-in-a-gladsome-twinkling-of-an-eye state. I only have the apps I currently use installed (and I've been polite enough to remove the ones I'd installed from the old laptop, so its new owner doesn't have to) and it's configured *just so*; inevitably I will have forgotten to transfer some files that weren't in the \Documents and Settings\username directory on the old laptop (I usually forget *something*). But it rarely matters; once it's gone, it's gone. Once I've added the new user's domain account to the old laptop, I'll log in as local administrator, remove *my* domain user, delete my \Documents and Settings\username directory, and that's that. Ideally, the new user would wipe the hard drive and reinstall from scratch (or restore a pre-built image) but I don't think this particular user will be in the market for that.

Now, if only my new laptop were pink... ;-)

This blog has been migrated to new software on a different server (http://www.multidimensional.me.uk) and comments on this post on *this* blog are now closed. All existing comments have been copied to the equivalent post on the new blog. If you still wish to comment on this post, please use the equivalent post at: http://www.multidimensional.me.uk/

0 Comments:

<< Home