Analysis (Services and Self)

Koan Bremner's view on life as a database and data warehouse professional / addict and non-genetic woman

Friday, January 28, 2005

"You Rock!" Award #1 - Steven Garrity

683.1 MB, 11.6 hours of absolute listening pleasure... that's what my freshly-burned CD of the first eighteen sessions of Steven Garrity's outstanding podcast "Acts of Volition Radio" equates to, in my opinion. Steven's shows follow the format I aspire to for VoiceOver, i.e. he plays a selection of music, with commentary in between the tracks about why he's chosen them. Most of the shows have a loose theme, e.g. live versions, name-dropping... even Session Seventeen, the Christmas session, features a quirky selection of tracks that didn't offend a Christmas curmudgeon like me. He's based in Canada, and there is a strong emphasis on Canadian bands and artists in his selection; which I have no problem with at all. I love discovering music I haven't heard before, and there are some absolute gems amongst his selections that I probably wouldn't have heard otherwise, but have now sent me scurrying to internet CD stores to see if I can find more of their offerings. (Note to the RIAA: that means that CD sales are going *up* as a result of podcasting, not down.) If I have a personal favourite among the shows, I think it is Session Sixteen; but they're all great. The CD now lives in my car; and I look forward to compiling a Volume Two as Steven continues to record new shows.

Steven... you rock!

This blog has been migrated to new software on a different server (http://www.multidimensional.me.uk) and comments on this post on *this* blog are now closed. All existing comments have been copied to the equivalent post on the new blog. If you still wish to comment on this post, please use the equivalent post at: http://www.multidimensional.me.uk/

0 Comments:

<< Home